Stay All Day 10-in-1 HD Illuminating Beauty Balm is quite a mouthful, but I think I have finally found my perfect match. If you read my East meets West BB cream face-off you will know that I liked the bronzing version of this beauty balm, but the colour was a bit too dark for my skin. I could just about get away with it while my body was tanned enough to match my face and it was mid-summer, but since winter seems to have arrived early I have had to put it aside for a while. I planned to try this illuminating version for winter and I am delighted with the colour. It really blends well with my fair skin tone.
I also use Stila One Step Illuminate as a primer on some days, but that does have a bit of a shimmer to it which means it can’t be worn alone “without looking like Edward Cullen in the sunshine” to borrow a quote from my hero, Lisa Eldridge. What I love about the Illuminating Beauty Balm is that while it gives you a dewy glow it doesn’t make you shimmer or sparkle, so it can be used on its own if you want a makeup free day or you’re just too rushed. I have tried it with and without moisturiser underneath, and I found it quite moisturising, so unless your skin is on the dry side you don’t really need to add moisturiser. It has great staying power too. In my opinion this beauty balm ticks the boxes when it comes to doing what a BB cream should do.
Like the bronzing version the Illuminating Beauty Balm claims to do a lot of things like reduce inflammation, pore size, and the appearance of wrinkles. I do not pretend to understand most cosmetic ingredients, but it seems many people with sensitive skin have had no problems with it despite some possible culprit ingredients in there. I like that it contains apple and rosemary leaf extract, and is SPF30. Below I have a freshly-washed face in the first picture, nothing else, and in the second picture I am wearing only the beauty balm, mascara and clear lip gloss. I am not sure if the difference is as clear as it should be in the pictures, but I had quite a bit of redness beforehand.
Things I love about it:
- The coverage is medium, better than I expected, and definitely evens out the skin and hides flaws.
- On bad skin days I could just add a tiny bit of foundation over my problem areas, typically around my chin and sometimes my cheeks, and leave the rest of my skin alone. A dot of concealer here and there, and I am left with a natural and flawless-looking skin.
- Perfect colour for fair skin tones.
- Great longevity
- It is water resistant for rainy winter days, and has SPF30 for hot summer days!
- No obvious shimmer to make you look shiny
- Has added skincare benefits.
Things to be aware of:
- If your skin is a bit oily it will probably come through after a while, so you might need a bit of setting/oil absorbing powder over your oily zones.
- If you have a darker skin tone, I would go with the bronzing version.
I love this beauty balm and I am so glad that I went ahead and ordered it! It is not exactly a budget-friendly BB cream at R395, but the effectiveness and added skin benefits make this my new holy grail everyday product. I bought mine at Rubybox, but you can also get it online from Woolworths and Style36, or in selected Woolworths and Truworths branches.