No Budget Beauty

I decided I would do a low no budget beauty post because that’s how tight things are and I’ve started getting desperate creative lately.ย beauty_wine_952785

Luckily there are so many affordable options out there today that you don’t have to resort to doing a Scarlett O’Hara and pinching your cheeks instead of wearing blush.

1. Your dry shampoo is finished. Now, dry shampoo is a bit of a luxury anyway, considering the problem is just as easily solved by washing your hair. But if you’re blonde and you’re really short on time then baby powder works really well at absorbing excess oil at the roots and making your hair look clean. Go easy on it though else you’re going to look like you’ve gone prematurely grey. I’ve used it often lately with great success.

baby powder

2. Your skin needs some pampering but buying a face mask is stretching the budget. Clicks and Dischem have some really nice single-use face masks ranging from R20 to R40 for all skin types. Alternatively you can create a great exfoliating mask using mashed strawberries and yoghurt, or use honey as a face mask – it has great antibacterial and nourishing properties. Apparently mashed bananas or avocado also work well as face masks for dry skin.

avo

3. Your need purple shampoo to get rid of those nasty yellow tones. This one I’ve grappled with personally lately. I ended up buying the Greenlight silver shampoo for R75 from Tandem Hair, but I’ve since noticed that Dischem has one in their natural and organic haircare section for something like R39 called Natur Vital which might be well worth trying! Alternatively – and this is for the “no budget” ladies – you can mix a few drops of gentian violet with your regular shampoo to create a silver shampoo. Again, go easy with it. Also, good luck finding gentian violet.

natur vital

4. Make your products do double-duty. I’ve been looking for ways to get more than one use from my products and I’ve discovered that my Hey Gorgeous Rose Water Toner makes an effective, non-stinging eye makeup remover. Speaking of rose water itself, you can buy it in supermarkets, it is inexpensive and it makes a lovely toner. Something like the Balm Balm Face Balm is also really multi-purpose and makes a good lip balm, moisturiser, hand and nail balm etc.

5. Vaseline makes a nice lipgloss and is useful for keeping brows in place. You can also smother your feet in it, cover with socks, and get nice soft feet overnight. I read that Marilyn Monroe used Vaseline as a makeup primer…can’t verify this, and not sure whether to recommend it, but it’s worth a try, right? Vaseline patted onto eyelids or cheekbones also gives you a lovely dewy look.

images

6. If you’ve got a baby around the house, raid the baby supplies. You can use baby shampoo to clean your makeup brushes, baby oil as a moisturiser, baby powder as dry shampoo and and aqueous cream as a makeup remover.

7. Baking soda can be used for all kinds of things. Mixing baking soda and honey creates a gentle yet effective face scrub. It can also be mixed with water and a few drops of peppermint oil to make a mouth wash. I haven’t yet got this desperate. Besides, I might need my baking soda to make banana bread or something.

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “No Budget Beauty

1. Naeemah says:

When I use powder instead of Dry Shampoo, I sprinkle a bit on my brush and brush it through. I find that this works so much better for me than putting it directly on my hair.

Great post!

x

2. Megan Speight says:

I definitely try take short cuts when it comes to using these goodies to get buy before pay day, lol. I’m glad i’m not alone!

3. Nicola says:

Catching up my rss feeds so I’m reading this a bit late. Loved this post! You can also use kitchen supplies like olive or coconut oil to remove makeup and when mixed with a bit of salt or sugar makes a great body scrub.

4. carpet steamers says:

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s
    time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things
    or advice. Maybe you could write next articles referring
    to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

5. carpet prices says:

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the pictures on this blog
    loading? I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or
    if it’s the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

6. www.ietlucknow.com says:

Howdy! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me
    of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about
    this. I will forward this write-up to him. Pretty sure he will have a
    good read. Many thanks for sharing!

7. http://traditionalrugs.blog.com says:

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright
    violation? My website has a lot of completely unique
    content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over
    the web without my authorization. Do you know any methods to help protect against content from being ripped
    off? I’d definitely appreciate it.

8. Rosaura says:

I blog often and I really thank you for your content.
    The article has truly peaked my interest. I am
    going to take a note of your website and keep checking for
    new information about once per week. I opted in
    for your Feed as well.

9. garden state soundtrack says:

This design is steller! You definitely know
    how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I
    was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you
    presented it. Too cool!